Package Pricing

Topics: General, Standard packages
Nov 17, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Hi,

I managed to create and export a package and then put it in a local package server and install it. The process of creating a package is awesome. However, I couldn't find where to set a price for a package and have no idea how the purchase process will be handled.

Any idea, tip or document?

Developer
Nov 17, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Composite.Tools.PackageServer does not allow setting price and don't provide any service for purchase packages

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Then why is there even a price field when loading a package information? Then in case someone is going to sell a package then they should do it themselves. I guess Composite C1 should think of a market place then.

Coordinator
Nov 17, 2010 at 1:25 PM

We do have a market place on the to-do list, and we would *love* to see the community come with both free and commercial packages. If you have build something we should take a look at send it to us :-)

We expect to have an actual market place up and running within 2-4 months depending on the feedback we get from potential package builders - like you ;-)

Right now, if you want to make packages available to others you can get a quick start by installing http://docs.composite.net/Composite.Tools.PackageServer and distribute the URL to it. There is no payment in there though.

Nov 17, 2010 at 8:13 PM

The idea of creating a market place is brilliant.

It's been only two days since I found Composite C1 and I have spend more than 15 hours getting to know this. I am a DotNetNuke pro and I believe Composite C1 can be a strong competitor in opensource CMS market if you play by rules. For example I also noticed that you are selling a few packages but they are very expensive. You can not find a product in DotNetNuke market place (except the DNN pro license :-) ) that is sold at such high prices and this will make small businesses think "How much am I going to spend at the end of the day". Another example is that I feel a bit slow (even on my own machine) and I guess it's because of the XML based database. I wanted to try the SQL provider but it's very expensive and I didn't find any trial version and am not sure if it fixes the slowness after it's installed. Now imagine how am I able to give consultation to my clients. :-) 

Anyway, you can count on me and your fast growing community if you needed any help with your market place. You did a great job.

Coordinator
Nov 17, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Hi Aboozar

The perf issues you mention - could you describe how you experience those? Check this thread: http://compositec1.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=232590 - the only thing that should be slow because of XML should be intensive writes or very large data sets.

Thanks for the feedback on pricing / trial - we are new in this game so we listen. We might be listening for a long time before we react, but we do listen.

About building a marketplace - right now we are looking for a 'commerce back-end' that can handle "the shop logic", online payments, allow for elegant integrations with a web front and other systems. We would prefer a system where we can write and control all rendering logic as we please. It should should be focused on world wide sales, handle subscriptions / renewals and have mature reporting features. We do not mind customizing, development etc. but it should be intuitive to both use and develop in/against. Any suggestions?

Also more pointers to what you think are the primary do's and don'ts on an open source marketplace is something we are looking for.

And thanks for claiming community membership!!! If you want to make some noise about Composite C1 in Australia and want any help from us, just say the word!

Marcus

Nov 17, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Hi Marcus,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

There are number of packages doing the back-end commerce stuff. Each with its own pros and cons. I am not having anything special on my mind right now but will keep that in mind and will suggest you if I cam across if noteworthy one. However, it's not that hard at this stage at least. Maybe you would like to consider building a complete package from scratch with a few milestones. 

For now, I guess it's very useful if a developer could set a package price and connects that to his PayPal account. Then you could simply add another step to the installation and that's the payment process. End users will be redirected to PayPal, pays the prices, PayPal automatically transfers the user back to your system, installation procedure checks does the payment validation and then the package starts to download and install. I don't think this is going to take long time for you guys. For now developers can take care of their marketing when there is an easy way to sell their products. Developers will be happy, end users will be happy and you will see a significant growth in the community.

Regarding the Australian part, why not? But please give me sometime to fully evaluate your application and then I will contact you via your website.

Best Regards,

Aboo