Can't get Composite C1 working

Topics: Troubleshooting
Nov 25, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I've downloaded and installed on my vista dev machine using the platform installer and doing it manually.  I've made sure the app pool is .net 4.  Permissions are set.  I open the site and It just times out.  page never loads.  Any ideas?

Also, is there a project/solution for VS2008?  I don't have VS2010 yet.

This looks great.  I can't wait to get it working.

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:57 PM

Composite C1 runs on .NET 4 so you would need VS2010 - you can try with the free Express edition of VS2010.

Another option is to install Composite C1 via WebMatrix:

1. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/web/webmatrix/ and install WebMatrix
  2. When installed, launch WebMatrix, create site from Gallety
  3. Select the CMS called 'Composite C1'

About your issue with pages timing out - this is not a known issue, so I would need more info. Do you get redirected to a sub page before you time out? If you make a deliberate syntax error in web.config, do you get an expected error page?

Nov 26, 2010 at 6:48 AM

I removed all and installed from webmatrix.  Installed successfully.  Went to composite C1 CMS and clicked "run" in webmatrix.  It opens browser page:  http://localhost: 25663/   It just hangs until timeout.  Finally says "Internet Explorer Cannot Show Page".  I look at requests and there is nothing.  Don't know what is going on.

I like idea to download free express edition of vs2010, but have not bothered since I can get it to run at all.  There is no redirect, so it's as though app won't even load.  But don't get any errors.

Just downloaded webmatrix so it is latest version.  Have .net 4 framework loaded.  Have app pool running under admin name with full privs.  All looks good.  It's running in webmatrix, but just in case, IIS is version 7.0.6000.16386.  It is a vista business OS machine.

Bummer.

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Your setup seem to be perfect, so there has to be something extraordinary generating problems. Could you try to do a manual edit of /web.config and introduce some deliberate syntax error and see if you get an error or IIS still hang?

Nov 26, 2010 at 1:02 PM
Edited Nov 26, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Hi. So it is either

1. Something is wrong with IIS+asp.net+security 

or

2. Something is wrong with  C1  (f.e. deadlock, infinite loop, waiting for something etc.)

To find which one is it please:

a) Try to see in Windows Task Manager if there's a w3wp.exe process for the site. If you cannot find any that is (1.)

b) Check whether there're log files under <website root>/App_Data/Composite/LogFiles. If you find them that meands that it is most likely the (2.) case, please attach them so we can check the exception(s) text

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:26 PM

First I'm looking for log files.  There are none.  The path I searched is from a default install: C:\Users\ahuitt\Documents\My Web Sites\Composite C1 CMS\App_Data\Composite.  There is no LogFiles.  So using Napernik's logic, it must be something wrong with C1 (Which I seriously doubt  ;)

So I look for a w3wp.exe process in task manager while it is "running" or trying to pull up a web page....  First I check before I run the app, and find nothing.  Now I run the app and find nothing.  I do find that IISExpress is showing up in the system task tray and that it shows the composite site is "running" - so it seems the environment is ready.  And now since nothing is there, using Napernik's logic again, something is wrong with IIS+asp.net+security...

So now I have put garbage in my web.config file to see what error I get.  It responds the same way, taking a while to time out.  The page never loads.  Eventually coming up with "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".  I double checked for log files and found none.

My guess is the app is never loading - that there is something else wrong with asp.net, app pool, permissions, etc.  I'm going to try checking permissions, then loading manually again and see if I get same results.

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:35 PM

This looks very much like a connection issue out of our control - i.e. your browser request newer hits your IIS / IIS Express - this could be a network/firewall issue. Try with a different browser, make sure to run locally, and while testing make sure you do not have any firewalls running. Make sure that hostname / ports match in both browser and server.

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:37 PM

ahuitt,
Are you running 64-bit? If so - check if in IIS "allow 32-bit application" is enabled.

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Huh? There is nothing remotely "32-bit" related in Composite C1 - @ahuitt please confirm that that was _not_ a fix.

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Okay, I checked event logs.  Found two entries related to when I try to run app:

First is and IIS Express error:

The description for Event ID 2264 from source IIS Express cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

C:\Users\ahuitt\AppData\Local\Temp\iisexpress\IIS Temporary Compressed Files\Clr4IntegratedAppPool

The second is an ASP.NET 4.0.30319.0 error:

Event code: 3005

Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.

Event time: 11/26/2010 8:43:35 AM

Event time (UTC): 11/26/2010 2:43:35 PM

Event ID: 0b8813b2929c4beca9d99cfcefd34938

Event sequence: 8

Event occurrence: 1

Event detail code: 0

Application information:

Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/3/ROOT-1-129352562148715406

Trust level: Full

Application Virtual Path: /

Application Path: C:\Users\ahuitt\Documents\My Web Sites\Composite C1 CMS\

Machine name: VOSTRO

Process information:

Process ID: 6760

Process name: iisexpress.exe

Account name: vostro\ahuitt

Exception information:

Exception type: NullReferenceException

Exception message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at ScriptLoaderControl._getScriptMarkup()

at ScriptLoaderControl.RenderMarkup(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at ScriptLoaderControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter)

at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter)

at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at ASP.composite_top_aspx.__Render__control1(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control parameterContainer)

at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)

at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter)

at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Request information:

Request URL: http://localhost:25663/Composite/top.aspx

Request path: /Composite/top.aspx

User host address: ::1

User:

Is authenticated: False

Authentication Type:

Thread account name: vostro\ahuitt

Thread information:

Thread ID: 7

Thread account name: vostro\ahuitt

Is impersonating: False

Stack trace: at ScriptLoaderControl._getScriptMarkup()

at ScriptLoaderControl.RenderMarkup(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at ScriptLoaderControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at ASP.composite_top_aspx.__Render__control1(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control parameterContainer)

at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)

at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Nov 26, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Sorry mawtex, running 32...

Nov 26, 2010 at 3:02 PM

GOT IT!  I am running AVG.  I checked options and disabled the "LinkScanner", "Resident Shield", and "Identity Protection" and it worked.  I re-enabled one by one and found that under the "LinkScanner" area, if the option for "Enable Surf-Shield" is checked, it will not run.  Simply un-check that option and it runs.

Thanks, Mawtex.  Your comment about, "This looks very much like a connection issue out of our control - i.e. your browser request newer hits your IIS / IIS Express - this could be a network/firewall issue."  was what made me think of it.

I'm looking forward to working with the product.

Nov 26, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Ok - could you please try with different browsers?

Looks like the statement 

Request.UserAgent.IndexOf("Gecko")

is failing...

This would be in the file ~/Composite\controls\ScriptLoaderControl.ascx.cs - line 170.

Nov 26, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Ohh - you found the cause of this - great - this also makes sense - your AVG is preventing Composite C1 from seeing certain HTTP headers that we need (in this case what browser is running the client app).

A big *thanks* for bringing this issue to our attention - this is definately something we need to address.

Thanks!

Nov 26, 2010 at 3:35 PM

@ahuitt I have logged this bug; http://compositec1.codeplex.com/workitem/468 - could you check it matches your experience / the work around looks right?

Also - if you have the time - after you have installed Composite C1 and things seem to run fine and you have tried launching the C1 Console, could you try to

1. re-enable the Surf-Shield
  2. Launch the C1 Console on the site you have running
  3. Give a short description of your experience (how it looks, when a installed and running C1 Console is started this way)- add this to the bug report

It's not super important, but it will be a help in our repro / test efforts.

Thanks!

Nov 26, 2010 at 4:26 PM

All looks good. I'll update workitem.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, November 26, 2010 9:35 AM
Subject: Re: Can't get Composite C1 working [CompositeC1:236041]

@ahuitt I have logged this bug; http://compositec1.codeplex.com/workitem/468 - could you check it matches your experience / the work around looks right?

Also - if you have the time - after you have installed Composite C1 and things seem to run fine and you have tried launching the C1 Console, could you try to

1. re-enable the Surf-Shield
  2. Launch the C1 Console on the site you have running
  3. Give a short description of your experience (how it looks, when a installed and running C1 Console is started this way)- add this to the bug report

It's not super important, but it will be a help in our repro / test efforts.

Thanks!

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (CompositeC1@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email CompositeC1@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com