SQL Server support will become available free of charge - merry xmas!

Topics: Release notes, Standard packages
Coordinator
Dec 18, 2010 at 1:05 AM

Some of you might have followed the thread “How can I migrate XML-based C1 site to the SQL Server-based site?” started 1½ months ago – our SQL Server Data Provider was a pricy commercial offering, leaving all our pure open source users with the XML Data Provider option.

Following the threads active period we started asking developers we talked to how they felt about not having SQL Server support out of the box and the reaction we got from them can be summed up as disbelief and disappointment. Generating such feelings in the core of what we hope to become our community was clearly wrong. Being a newbie organization in the respect to the open source .net community and very happy users of the XML Data Provider ourselves, we missed the simple truth; developers want a data base they trust, know and can program to host their data. We should have been acutely aware of this when we planned the initial division between our free open source software and commercial extension software.

We will make the SQL Server Data Provider and an “auto-upgrade from XML to SQL” tool available free of charge. The whole thing will be distributed as a C1 Package which allow you to – when needed - very easily migrate all your data and data schemas from XML files to SQL tables, typically without any need for code changes (LINQ transformations handle this).

You can see LINQ queries, SQL and the migration package in action here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDvlbNkbyRU

We will release the package soon after we release Composite C1 v. 2.1 (which should be no later than 5 weeks away). If you want it earlier and are fine with betas, contact me via my CodePlex profile.

Happy hollydays from all of us at Composite - please stay around in 2011 also ;-)

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:17 AM

Thumbs up! Having a complete file-based installation is a noble thought, but from my own experience, and reading threads here on CodePlex, pure xml-files have proved to lack the level of data integrity that we need when reading and writing constantly. Now that the MS SQL server provider will be open sourced we can hope some smart minds will make a provider for VistaDB or SQLite so we still can have the option of pure xcopy installation, but without the lack of data integrity.

Dec 18, 2010 at 2:37 AM

You guys are awesome! Respect!

Dec 18, 2010 at 3:36 AM

Wonderful. That's another step toward success.

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2010 at 10:27 AM
burningice wrote:

Thumbs up! Having a complete file-based installation is a noble thought, but from my own experience, and reading threads here on CodePlex, pure xml-files have proved to lack the level of data integrity that we need when reading and writing constantly. Now that the MS SQL server provider will be open sourced we can hope some smart minds will make a provider for VistaDB or SQLite so we still can have the option of pure xcopy installation, but without the lack of data integrity.

Implementing transaction support for XmlDataProvider isn't that difficult/impossible thing to do, we will probably not target it in 2.1, but it should be in one of the upcoming versions.

It is not only xcopy-ing, I find it extremely comfortable to open my favorite  file manager, search for a string, f.e. "@composite.net" if I want to check whether I have forgotten my e-mail somewhere on the website, see all the files & data types it is used in and edit them immediately. 

Dec 20, 2010 at 7:48 AM

This is an excellent move by the Composite C1 team.  I started using C1 a few weeks ago and I am really impressed with the product.  I was disappointed about the paid option for SQL Server but this is now sorted.  Well done for listening to the community.

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:06 PM

So, the source for MS SQL support was released... wonderful news! Reading through the source though i realize that its using Linq2SQL as its underlying DataContext and Microsoft.SqlServer.Management to manipulate table and columns in the database.

Clever, but makes it next to impossible to reuse any of the work to make support for ie. MySQL or some filebased database as Access, VistaDB or SQLite. For that we need to be able to use a more generic DataContext, like EF which supports providres, and do the table and column manipulations with raw sql-queries.

If any bright minds are up for a challenge i would find it interesting to get together and look into writing a more generic Linq2<databases> provider.

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Linq2<database> is an amazing idea. However, it sounds like a huge work. :-)

Mar 1, 2011 at 8:35 PM

I agree. Those kind of customizations are something the Open Source Community would provide... or the Composite C1 Team could offer their services to businesses to create this layer for businesses that want to run on MySQL or SQLLite.

Mar 6, 2011 at 8:57 PM
Edited Mar 6, 2011 at 9:07 PM

I just started using Composite C1 and very impressed to see the way its using xml and xsl for the templates. When i moved to data part i found that you mentioned "Composite.Tools.SqlServerDataProvider" package. But i can't see that package in my composite admin "Packages" > "Available Packages" > "Composite.Tools" . Please let me know how i can get and install that package into my package list.

Also only  LINQ is what you support or we can do direct queries to the database as well, if yes then please provide the docs url for that.

I need that extension to link my composite site with back-end SQL database.

Thanks.

Coordinator
Mar 9, 2011 at 12:09 AM

@shawinder please check http://compositec1.codeplex.com/discussions/248941

About docs for doing custom SQL statements on Composite C1 tables - the is no docs - the database just contain simple, typical vanilla tables, with correctly named columns and sql data types. You probably don't need any docs if you are familiar with sql. Otherwise let me know what info you are missing.