Showing global data under pages in content perspective

Topics: General
Jan 7, 2011 at 9:12 PM

I am trying to show some global data under my pages in the content perspective, but the data does not seem to want to show up.  Below is a more simplified version where I am just trying to get a element labeled "Tags" to show up under my pages.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ElementStructure xmlns="http://www.composite.net/ns/management/trees/treemarkup/1.0" xmlns:f="http://www.composite.net/ns/function/1.0">  
  <ElementStructure.AutoAttachments>
    <DataType Type="Composite.Data.Types.IPage" Position="Bottom"/>    
  </ElementStructure.AutoAttachments>
  <ElementRoot>
    <Children>    
      <Element Id="Root" Label="Tags">
        <Actions>
          <AddDataAction Type="IIHS.Lists.TagsAndPages"/>
        </Actions>
      </Element>      
    </Children>    
  </ElementRoot>
</ElementStructure>

I would expect the above xml located in the TreeDefinitions directory to cause a Tags element to show up under all page elements in the content perspective, but I am not seeing anything happen.  Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Jan 10, 2011 at 9:21 AM

If nothings happens it probably because there is an error in your xml tree markup. To see if that is the case, go to Tools -> Server Log in C1.

My best guess is that you miss assembly name in this element:

<AddDataAction Type="IIHS.Lists.TagsAndPages"/>

Should be something like this

<AddDataAction Type="IIHS.Lists.TagsAndPages, YOUR_ASSEMBLY_NAME"/>

Jan 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM

I have ensured that my type is visibe.  I should have removed that action to keep my example simpler for this post.  I did however look at the log, as you suggested, and found the following message...

"No elements are allowed in trees that are used with data attached trees at  in D:\svn\arlroot\iihs.org\www\proof_v2\website\App_Data\Composite\TreeDefinitions\IIHS.Lists.Tags.xml"

Can anyone give me a little clarification on what this error means?

Thanks.

Jan 11, 2011 at 7:40 AM

Try this instead:

<ElementStructure.AllowedAttachments>
    <DataType Type="Composite.Data.Types.IPage" Position="Bottom"/>    
  </ElementStructure.AllowedAttachments>

Your tree wont be auto attached to all pages, but you will be able to attach the tree by right clicking on the page you want to attach it too. The reason for this is that allowing the tree to be attached to all pages could lead to very poor performance.

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Thanks.