Whats the the point of URL Title?

Topics: General
Jan 16, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Okay, so we have what... 3 different titles for a page, Page Title, Menu Title and URL Title. Page title and menu title is fine, but i fail to see what we need URL title for. IMO its actually quite annoying. I can't come up with any scenario where you would want URL title to be different than Menu title. Then we of course have the issue of illegal characters in the url, but that should just be handled automatically. Strip out everything except a-z and 0-9 and replace whitespaces with hyphens and everyone is happy.

As it is now its too easy for some less smart user to write some junk in the URL Title, and since most less smart users never pay attention to the address bar in the browser, it can really screw up the SEO. If the url instead was generated from Menu Title the less smart user would instantly notice if they accidently changed it into some junk. This is the case at one of our sites where someone decided to edit the URL Titles into something like this http://www.sogm.gl/en/competenceareas/portconstructions. Totally useless.

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Agree :)

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2011 at 9:25 PM

There are three reasons for having both a URL title and Menu title field:

1. All our navigation packages treat an empty Menu title as 'do not show in menu'. So to hide a page from navigation, simply clear the menu title field.
  2. When you do have a menu title you may not want it to be the same thing as the URL part.
  3. You may want to change the menu title at some point after your site went live, without changing the url and breaking external links.

Personally I'm quite happy with menus and URL being controlled by distinct fields - typically the Add Page wizard manage the fields for me, but on occasions I select a shorter URL title to get a cleaner URL.

Also I would expect that Chinese etc. may like the feature very much (being able to have Chinese menus, but ascii like URLs).

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Agree :)

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Ah, so thats how the "hide from navigation" works like... i was kinda looking for it and almost implementing it as a metatype. I would prefer if the URL title was allowed to be empty as well then, since the rule for generating url then could be

- url title, if not exists
 - menu title, if not exists
 - page title

as it is now URL Title is mandatory and you can't lave it blank.  Or at least some "lock" feature, since for your third point to be valid, you, or some lesser smart user, shouldn't be able to change the url.

And for the second point, well, i still need to see a actual case for that before i believe it :)

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:45 PM
Edited Jan 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Take the following title:

3 ways you'd want to skin & flay deer.

I'm not sure how Composite C1 would handle this url, but my guess is that it will strip out the ampersand and apostrophe, leaving you with:

3-ways-youd-want-to-skin--flay-deer

You'd probably want to rewrite that to something like:

3-ways-to-skin-and-flay-deer

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:56 PM
Edited Jan 20, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Since all double hyphens (--) should be replaced with a single (-) the point is valid for replacing the you'd want to to to and & to and. And still for that i don't believe its anything but a hypothetical scenario. And honestly... search engines are clever enough to know that youd is the same as you'd which a quick example show http://www.google.dk/search?hl=en&q=youd+want+to&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Normal users just don't CARE about the url. Its hard enough to explain what Title and Menu Title is for and why it is important spending a minute on choosing the best values as possible. Trying to explain the new concept of Url Title as well will be like punching in a duvet. And since there are no fall-back policy, which would take care of the exceptional case where someone would actually care to fill it out, we have internally decided to add a EventHandler that forcibly set the value of Url Title to a "url-version" of Menu Title (with fallback to Title) every time a page is saved.