Deploying c1 to IIS and some migration/development questions

Topics: General, Troubleshooting
Feb 8, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Hi

I have to prepare 2 proof of concepts CMS sites for our customers. Due to the fact that we are dealing with C1 for the first time the

1. websites were first installed locally
  2. published
  3. published site was copied to IIS application folder on the server.
  4. results:
    1. site works OK
    2. after logging in as admin got following error:
      Server was unable to process request. ---> Access to the path '<path>\App_Data\Composite\DataStores\Composite.Data.Types.IUserConsoleInformations_public.xml' is denied.
      composite c1 version: 2.0.3947.24461
      IIS 7.0

Other questions, actually recommendations:

1. Due to the fact that at the beginning there will be a lot of custom additions to web site (custom web services,silverlight, etc).
  2. We are expecting frequent migrations.
    How is it best performed backu/restore?
  3. What is the best way to migrate content only (simple page no database)?
  4. Is it possible/recommended to integrate with source control (svn)?

Thanks a lot

regards

mel

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:53 PM
Edited Feb 8, 2011 at 1:05 PM

You need to give full access to the user running your webapplication to the ~/App_Data folder.

Since all data and configurations when using xml-store is located in files on the webserver your backup should be complete by doing backup of your applications root folder. If you want to be a bit more picky i believe the folders ~/App_Data, ~/Frontend and ~/Composite/InstalledPackages should do the job.

For migrating content (using xml files) you copy the ~/App_Data/Composite/DataStores folder from one machine to another. Be aware that it will overwrite any existing data and cannot be used for merging changes.

Personally i have checked the following into my svn when doing development (list is not exhaustive)

• ~/App_Data/Composite/Composite.config
  • ~/App_Data/Composite/Configuration/DynamicXmlDataProvider.config
  • ~/App_Data/Composite/DynamicTypeForms
  • ~/App_Data/PageTemplates
  • ~/App_Data/Xslt
  • ~/Frontend

You can also read this thread for discussion about multi user environment http://compositec1.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=238657