C1 changes image urls,if text is changed

Topics: Troubleshooting, Visual editor
Feb 25, 2011 at 12:52 PM

We have installed C1 for our new web-page. We faced following problem-if we change,edit,add text to exact web-page, system automatically adds symbol ~ to all urls. Can anyone explain how to debug this tendency in the system?

Coordinator
Feb 25, 2011 at 1:28 PM

This behavior is actually by design. The ~ sign denote 'the website root' and when pages are rendered this path is resolved. This mean that you can run your website both in "the root" or in a sub folder (IIS virtual application) and have links work as expected.

Are you experiencing that the ~/ based paths have a negative effect on the actual rendered pages or have you only experienced them when viewing content inside the C1 Console?

Coordinator
Feb 25, 2011 at 1:30 PM

What build number are you running on? (or source code change set if you compiled from source)? The 2.1 beta code had bugs in this area at some point, but they should be resolved by now.

Feb 25, 2011 at 1:55 PM
Edited Feb 25, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Our buil number 2.0.We would like to avoid beta versions release. Are there any ways to debug it in 2.0 version?Yes we have negative effect, because we lose all the urls of images and have to edit it.

Coordinator
Feb 25, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Could you describe the steps needed to reproduce the error? Then I can ensure that it is fixed in the latest version and perhaps provide a fix for your version.

A repro could be something like this (something that will show us the problem when we try it):

1. Using a Composite C1 2.0 running on IIS 7, using Firefox 3.16
  2. Edit a page
  3. Insert an image in the visual editor
  4. Write some text below the image
  5. Preview page

Expected: Image show up fine where inserted
Actual: Image show as a broken image

Thanks!

Feb 25, 2011 at 2:17 PM
Edited Feb 25, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Enter CMS and change any text in 3.6.13

Save it

Then I see that I lose all the images and I have just text described in Alt tag. When I check the url in html, I see that all urls have additional ~ in all urls.

Coordinator
Feb 25, 2011 at 2:24 PM

None of our released versions have exhibited this behavior and I can not repro the issue from your current description.

Could you provide more details (IIS version, browser type/version, C1 version, perhaps other steps repro that are relevant)? You can find version information in the "Help | About" menus - please specify full version number.

Are the images you insert from "manual URL's" placed outside the C1 media archive or did you insert them from the archive?

Could you send an example of the image URL before/after?

Feb 25, 2011 at 2:46 PM

using Composit C1 2.0, running on IIS 7.5, using Firefox - 3.6.13

We found that the problem is that we stored our image is not in the "Media" folder, but in "Layout\Frontend\Images". When we changed the location to store images, then the problem resolved.

Coordinator
Feb 25, 2011 at 3:22 PM

We will run through that use case and ensure that you can reference files on the file system without issues. Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention.