Help us test a new “starter site” for lazy devs and XSLT lovers

Topics: General, Release notes, XSLT
Coordinator
Mar 25, 2011 at 3:29 PM
Edited Mar 26, 2011 at 1:23 AM

We are in the process of building the first “starter site” for Composite C1 and we would really appreciate some feedback on it while in the beta phase.

To get the starter site up and running on a local Composite C1 installation:

1. Set up a new Composite C1 2.1 website - in the setup wizard, choose the “Bare bones” option.
  2. Go to “System | Packages | Package sources “, execute the “Add Package Source” command and specify this URL: http://startersite.dev01.composite.net/Packages.asmx
  3. Go to “System | Packages | Available packages” and install these packages: 
    • Composite.Navigation.LanguageSwitcher
    • Composite.Navigation.LevelSitemap
    • Composite.Navigation.Distributed
    • Composite.Templates.StarterSite

TIP: If you have no ‘new pages’ using starter site elements, you can uninstall the “StarterSite” package and re-install it to get the latest version.

This first version is pretty rudimentary – we are trying on getting the basic stuff right, so there are not many features in the site. Once we have an awesome starting point for “templating” we will release other starter sites with different feature sets on them.

The indented developer audience for this template site is developers that want a ready-to-go mobile friendly website and limit their work to minor CSS and graphic changes and XSLT developers that want to own the site.

The site has the following features:

• Layout based on CssGrid.net giving a website that looks sweet on both PC’s and mobile devices.
  • 5 layout templates: Front page, 3 column, 2 column (navigation and content), 2 column (content and aside), 1 column (full width)
  • Top navigation, sidebar navigation, sitemap
  • A Small module for maintaining a “service menu” (that mini menu with ‘Sitemap’, ‘Contact’ etc. that typically reside at the top or bottom).
  • If multiple content languages are added to the site a “language switch” will show up, enabling visitors to see a page in other available languages
  • Layout templates are based on a C1 Function call (executing an XSLT) where you can configure overall layout behavior by tweaking parameters. Light and lazy devs can ‘stop here’.
  • XSLT Functions for head, columns, footer etc. ensuring you do not have any redundant markup anywhere
  • Html header meta tagging as you probably want it
  • XSLT Function for ‘master layout’ making it easy to add transformation rules to content if desired

NB! The design is temp – we are in the process of changing colors, design etc.

Thanks!

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Hi,

I started with a clean install but can't find "Composite.Templates.StarterSite"

thanks

Coordinator
Mar 29, 2011 at 1:51 PM

You added the step 2 above (added a new package source URL) and do not get the package? If you browsed the "available packages" structure prior to adding the new package source, try using the 'Clear cache' command on the 'Available packages' node.

Please let me know if this helps.

Mar 30, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Yes after added the source url from step 2 I can't find  'Composite.Templates.StarterSite' (the other packages are visible and installed correctly)

I just removed the package, hit 'Clear Cache' on the 'Available package'
After that I added the package source again and hit 'Clear Cache' on the 'Available package' again.
Unfortunately without any result.

I use the latest download on a Win7 business with IIS

Coordinator
Mar 30, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Our bad - the package 'minimum version' was not set to the downloadable build, so this would only pop up on our internal builds. I'm really sorry about that!

I have fixed the version requirement and ensured I now get the package when using the release 2.1, downloadable from http://compositec1.codeplex.com/releases/view/62388 - make sure to use the "clear cache" and "refresh" options and it will show up this time - I promise ;-)

Mar 30, 2011 at 9:10 PM
Edited Mar 30, 2011 at 9:10 PM

... OK, it works fine now !!

Now I can trying to be a lazy developer :-)

Thanks

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:09 AM
Edited Apr 18, 2011 at 2:14 AM

Make sure that css files are combined into 1 or as few requests as possible to speed up loading and they are are minified to save bandwidth.

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:55 PM

The navigation sections should be encapsulated in the new html5 nav-tag to let parsers know that this is navigation elements.

http://www.w3schools.com/html5/tag_nav.asp

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:45 PM

I noticed that the Visual HTML editor has no problem accepting things like <article> and <aside> and other HTML5 elements. It would be great to know how this is done so that it could be implemented on other sites. That's the one thing that I have had issues with.

When editing content in the Demo site, for example, if you add any HTML5 elements, it says it's an invalid element.

Coordinator
Apr 25, 2011 at 4:23 PM

@atomiton it was fixed in 2.1.1 (changeset 6706 file, CompositeC1/Website/Composite/services/SourceEditor/MarkupFormatService.asmx

Upgrade from 2.1 to 2.1.1 shouldn't be a difficult one, I'll post the upgrade steps this week 

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Great!!! Yeah, I see the change in the accepted element names.