Demo site installation problem

Topics: Troubleshooting
Mar 29, 2011 at 12:50 AM
Edited Mar 29, 2011 at 12:50 AM

I have tried to install C1 as an added application to my IIS. It seems to run fine and pulls up the site, but it acts like a barebone site with no demo site. I have run the installation several times now and have ensured that I'm selecting the OmniCorp demo site. But it just comes to the console with no data. What am I doing wrong? If I compile and run it from VS10 it works fine, installs the data and shows the demo site just fine... but even then if I try to take that site and map it to IIS... it breaks.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Coordinator
Mar 29, 2011 at 1:04 AM

The demo site will overwrite the existing file ~\Frontend\Styles\VisualEditor.common.css - check if your files are read only. This can be a problem for other files as well, but this file is a good 'canarie bird' for this issue. 

You may be able to get some info from the c1 log (Tools | Server Log in the C1 Console) or check content of ~/App_Data/Composite/Logfiles

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:33 AM
Edited Mar 29, 2011 at 1:38 AM

Thank you! That does seem to be the issue here. However, are there specific files that I need to change? a folder? Or is this more of the adding Network Service to the website?

Update: I added Network Service to the website and it seems to have done the trick. But this is one of those things I forget time and time again about IIS... isn't it incorrect to set the Network Service with full rights on the root folder? If so, what is the 'better' solution for ensuring that files are read only for IIS 6?

Coordinator
Mar 29, 2011 at 1:54 AM

During setup, package installations and development you would need to give asp.net access to update any file. In production, you can limit this to /App_Data.

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:57 AM

Makes sense. Thank You!!

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Hi All!

I downloaded source code to use in Visual Studio. In downloaded files I don't see StarterSites code, i want to see OmniCorp example.

Where can I find it and how can I see OmniCorp in my system?

Thanks!

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2011 at 7:24 AM

>> I downloaded source code to use in Visual Studio. In downloaded files I don't see StarterSites code, i want to see OmniCorp example.

>> Where can I find it and how can I see OmniCorp in my system?

Hello,

You should run the web application (Composite C1) the first time  then you will see a Start Wizard, where you select Demo site (here you can choose empty site or Starter site templates or OmniCorp site template), language settings, and username / password for the default admin account.

For reference, check this video showing the setup procedure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y12dPpc4egA - here WebMatrix is used, but the Start wizard experience should be the same across WebMatrix, IIS and VS2010.