Does the team want localisation translation files for Japanese?

Topics: General
Apr 8, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Hi Composite Team,

My girlfriend is Japanese national and language teacher... Thought I may be able to offer you translation of the interface into Japanese... What do I need to do (i.e. what files do I need to create and submit for you)

Regards,

Paul

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Ignore... I really should look before I speak... there is a guide as per normal :)

http://docs.composite.net/C1/Console/LocalizingConsole/UpdatingLocalizations.aspx

Anyway... Thanks

Apr 8, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Awesome! If you go ahead with this, please let us know if it is doable to make the C1 Console 'Japanese' or if there are issues here - I guess there is more to Japanese than translation and double-bytes (like text direction etc.) 

Thanks!!

Apr 8, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Hi Marcus (I guessed you'd be the replier :))

There is no issue with direction. Japanese traditionally is top down but left to right is also widely accepted so it's a straight translation job. I'll check out the docs and if it's not a massive job I'll walk through the translation with my girlfriend (I'll need to bridge the "technology to english" gap with her) but it should be do-able.

I'll keep you posted. I've also noticed some en-US typos in the UI which I will also correct probably. I might also be able to tap into other teachers she knows i.e. spanish, french etc... anywayone thing at a time

Regards,

P.S. I know you don't want to answer my other post about where to start with user tracking as it is potentially attacking your  Extranet  revenue but some pointers as to where to start would be good... I'm starting to delve into core anyway it will just save me some head scratching... Any start point would be great.

Apr 8, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Yep I have hada  look at the tools and whats involved and the girlfriend has agreed to do the translation over the easter break... A question though:

Where object i.e. FileNotFoundException terms are referenced should we

• do a direct translation - (Japanese words that are english in origin are written phonetically to match the sound of the english term)
  • do a direct translation and include the english object name
  • just use the standard english i.e FileNotFoundException as this will map to any japanese searches i.e. on MSDN

Where terms are descriptive but have no japanese equivalent I assume it's okay to attempt a 'closest match'?

Thanks

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:25 PM

Hmm - good question. I don't know how Japanese developers would normally see 'FileNotFoundException' - but I'd go with the 'keep it in CLR speak' (english) when it comes to class names etc..

> Where terms are descriptive but have no Japanese equivalent I assume it's okay to attempt a 'closest match'?

Closest match is a good approach - one thing to be aware of is the length of the resulting string, it may become to long to actually fit in the UI. This was occasionally a problem on the Russian translation and can lead to some trade-offs in meaning, but I guess Japanese might have an edge there.

About the en-US typos - if you could provide us with the wrong texts we can fix it - if you send us fixed xml files, please include info about the version they came from so we may merge.

Again, I'd like to thank you (and your girlfriend) for doing this - it can be a huge "adoption booster" to be available in many languages and since "adoption" is a key performance indicator for open source, this actually mean a lot!

I'll get back to your other post - I mentally moved it to the to-do list because the question was pretty wide and could be a time consuming one to tackle. You are very welcome to follow up with some concrete scenarios/features, then it is a bit easier to give a quick answer.

Thanks!

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:55 PM
Edited Apr 9, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Okay that's what I thought and thanks for clarification.

Agreed at adoption - I am going to try find/cajole a Chinese friend of mine to perform Mandarin (Kanji) translation but I don't know if their arm will so easily be twisted

I suppose I should do en-GB and make sure that en-US is accurate for en-US (mis)spellings.

Anyway I'll keep you posted and send you the en-US corrections

Just out of interest Marcus what documenting tools/api generation tooling are you using? GhostDoc and Sandcastle?

Thanks

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:00 AM

And as a side note if this is key to adoption then capital investment in professional translation service for major languages might be prudent

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:45 PM

I may also be of some help with the Japanese translation. As for things like FileNotFoundException and things like that, where it's written for developers, many times English is okay. Where it's to be displayed to the user, obviously a more "katakana-nized" approach would be necessary: 「ファイルがありません」

Although far from fluent, I can get aid from my wife.

Apr 12, 2011 at 9:14 AM

@luappy13 we use sandcastle to generate the api documentation

Apr 12, 2011 at 9:58 PM
Edited Apr 12, 2011 at 10:03 PM

@atomiton It would be good to have your feedback on the translation when complete as I can only advise her generic rules. I'll  ping you after the first stage so we can get feedback before we start the full translation.

@MartinJensen GhostDoc visual studio plugin may help you speed up the documentation process. It does have some amazing features but requires intimate knowledge of the inner workings to get the best out of it... It does however severly reduce the keystrokes required to get full visual studio intellisense support and is very good at pluralising and getting the approximate gist of the functions inner workings as long as names are the standardised format (which from what I have seen of the source you do i.e. GOF design pattern names etc)