Console freezing very often

Topics: Troubleshooting
May 28, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Hello everyone,

First of all I'd like to say that I really really really like Composite C1. It's the best .net CMS I've come across and I think you've done a very well job :)

There is however one major annoyance of mine, by using it. My Console freezes ALL the time. I tried it on different computers, on different browsers. But sometimes it just freezes, and I have to close and open the browser again. This usually happens when I click on the Console when I'm loading or when I alt-tab away from it.

It's kinda annoying to work like that, because it happens a lot during editting, so when I'm creating data types, it freezes and I have to start all over again. I kinda work around it by just saving everything I do.

I'm wondering, is anyone else experiencing these kind of problems?

Timo

Coordinator
May 30, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Timo, I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue and that you have it across browsers.

First of a quick tip - when the console is querying the server it will lock the UI. Should you ever end in a situation where the UI is not unlocked, pressing the ESC key can fix this. This is fighting a symptom, so this will not fix your issue, but it may turn out to be a help.

Could you describe your setup some more?

• Browser (and versions) you used
  • How the network between client and server look (is this on localhost only etc.)
  • Are multiple users editing content on the site simultaneously?
  • Is this a std. Composite C1 release (anfd what version) or do you use a self-compiled version? Anything beyond standard?

Coordinator
May 30, 2011 at 12:02 PM

How the site is hosted? Is is an IIS/Visual Studio on localhost, or you're using shared hosting?

Coordinator
May 30, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Good points from @napernik - you could experience horrible response times (leading to freezes in the Console) in these situations:

1. You use Visual Studio's build in webserver (for instance pressing F5 to start the site) and Firefox or Chrome. There is a fairly exotic (but very poisonous) issue with the VS2010 web server, IPv6 and chrome/firefox.
    FIX: Try replacing "localhost" with "127.0.0.1" is the browser location and see if this helps.
  2. You have your site hosted on a web server which is serving up other sites that will eat the CPU, leaving Composite C1 with very few resources, giving slow response times.
    FIX: Ask your hosting provider to move you to a server that isn't already heavily loaded. Or use another hosting provider.

May 30, 2011 at 1:22 PM
Edited May 30, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Thanks for the replies,

I'll try to provide as much information as possible. These are the situation happens on EVERY browser I've tried. I've tried the latest versions of Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome and even Opera (bypassing the browser check). I'm using webmatrix to run the website on my local machine. I've set it up for http://192.168.0.101:7777/ because I want to access it from a different computer. However, I've just tested by just using localhost and I get these freezes too. Also I'm using the XML files to store the data.

I'm 100% sure I'm the only developer, because no-one else can access the site at the moment. And I've set up a standard Composite C1 release (latest version again) and there it also occurs.

To describe how I actually got into the freezing I payed some attention everytime it happend. But it seems like the UI indeed locks up when the console is quering the server. Sometimes it just takes forever (i've waited 30 minutes one time) for it to get unlocked. Also, sometimes it freezes up when I for example try to save a datatype, and when it's saving I click somewhere else (while the console is locked up).

I'll make a screencast of it when I get home, so you can see what actually happens.

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Hi TimoWillemsen,

Have you found any solution? Because I'm experiencing the same performance problems with Composite C1 3.1, Build 3.1.4400.42718. The console often becomes slow and even freezes every 5-10 minutes.