SQLServer Data Provider conversion error

Topics: General, Troubleshooting
Jun 22, 2011 at 9:04 PM

In a VM with Server 2008 R2 and SQL Express 2008 R2, I am able to run the SQLServer Data Provider wizard without issues.

However, on my customer's test system, we receive the following:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Of course I assumed that the SMO assembly was in fact missing, and as your documentation states, this dependency must be in place first. However, we checked and the assembly is in the GAC, SQL Management Objects are installed per control panel. Here's the configuration they use:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (RTM) - 10.50.1600.1 (X64)

Windows Server 2008 R2, <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1) (Hypervisor) 

-----

Have there been other similar reports? Is there anything to try or look at in particular?

Russ

Coordinator
Jun 22, 2011 at 9:59 PM

I can't recall seeing a similar situation - it has always boiled down to SMO bits missing - did you try running the SMO installer anyway? If you try to create a simple asp.net page that new up a class from SMO does that also explode?

Btw we have been factored out our dependency on SMO - in our next release you need not have SMO installed (I am not sure I'm making you super happy with that remark - sorry we didn't get rid of SMO earlier ;-)

 

Developer
Jun 23, 2011 at 6:24 AM

Hi rlramirez

If I manage to get me a similar environment, I would like to try to reproduce the issue, but I might need some more information from you.

Could you please tell:

1. What version/build of C1 do you use?
2. Are the SQL Server and C1 running on the same system or two different systems?
3. In case you use them on 2 systems separately, is the SMO assembly installed on the one where C1 is running?

Thank you in advance

/Vitaly

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Yes, we did run the SMO installer anyway, and re-booted the server even though the MSI didn't prompt for it.

Jun 23, 2011 at 12:41 PM
wysocki wrote:

Hi rlramirez

If I manage to get me a similar environment, I would like to try to reproduce the issue, but I might need some more information from you.

Could you please tell:

1. What version/build of C1 do you use?
2. Are the SQL Server and C1 running on the same system or two different systems?
3. In case you use them on 2 systems separately, is the SMO assembly installed on the one where C1 is running?

Thank you in advance

/Vitaly

1. C1 is 2.1.1, Build 2.1.4113.99 (sorry for not including that before)

2. SQL Server is on a separate server. Both servers run Win 2008 R2 x64

3. I believe the SMO bits are only on the SQL server but I'll check that - thanks.

Russ 

Developer
Jun 23, 2011 at 12:46 PM
rlramirez wrote:

3. I believe the SMO bits are only on the SQL server but I'll check that - thanks.

The SMO objects are required on the server where Composite C1 is running. So please check.

We are missing this important note in the documentation - so we will update it.

Jun 23, 2011 at 1:03 PM
wysocki wrote:
rlramirez wrote:

3. I believe the SMO bits are only on the SQL server but I'll check that - thanks.

The SMO objects are required on the server where Composite C1 is running. So please check.

We are missing this important note in the documentation - so we will update it.

That makes complete sense, like any assembly dependency it has to be local. I'll check on it.

Russ

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Installing SMO on the C1 server fixed it, of course :-)  

- thanks.

Developer
Jun 24, 2011 at 6:16 AM

great! :)