Composite 2.1.3 Homepage Issues

Topics: General, Troubleshooting
Jul 27, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Hello,

I just recently upgraded to the new Beta from Composite 2.1.1 following the directions here: http://compositec1.codeplex.com/discussions/264105

Afterwards I could no longer render my homepage. I can get into the console, and every single other page. Here is the error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   CompositeC1Contrib.PageRendererHelper.RenderDocument(XElement doc) +185
   CompositeC1Contrib.Web.UI.Rendering.C1MarkupControl.CreateChildControls() +110
   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +181
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +59
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +221
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +4184

Is this just the Contrib not working, or did I install something wrong?

By the way, the fix to the blog is awesome, since it works with NicerURLs now! I don't know why I didn't do this earlier.

Thanks,

Naibla

Jul 28, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Hello,

1. Try to clear Browser cache.
2. Try to browse home page from C1 console: locate page-> right click -> View published
3. As I see, upgrade steps from here contain step 6)  Upgrade steps for Composite.Contrib project coming soon...  Probably your site can have some old version of CompositeC1Contrib.dll .
If you check CompositeC1Contrib Source Code you will see that July 6 there were some bug fixes (Updated to match C1 changeset 8173 (version 2.1.4204.21616)). Try to update CompositeC1Contrib.dll

Jul 28, 2011 at 2:46 PM

I've got it working now. I updated the CompositeC1Contrib.dll but it gave me this error:

Could not load type 'CompositeC1Contrib.Web.UrlFilterModule' from assembly 'CompositeC1Contrib' 

After I removed the reference from web.config and added the correct ones, it works!

I just want to point out that the documentation still says to add 

<add name="UrlFilter" type="CompositeC1Contrib.Web.UrlFilterModule, CompositeC1Contrib" />'

which is what gave me the error.

Thanks Inna,

Naibla