Can I Use the Blog Component Only on My Site?

Topics: General
Jul 30, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Hi,

I like to create a site using ASP.NET and need a blog on the website. I can continue to use WordPress but I like to migrate everything over to ASP.NET, so I was wondering if it's possible to use your Blog Component only and is it easy to extract just that feature to place on my website?

Thank you

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Yes, that should be possible - if you replace the default.aspx that come with Composite C1 with your own then only the very specific paths that match pages inside the CMS will be handled by Composite C1 - other paths can be handled by your own pages.

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:04 PM

Why not using http://www.dotnetblogengine.net/ if you're looking for a dedicated Blog platform in ASP.NET?

Aug 1, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Mawtex and BurningIce, thank you very much for your time.  I have one of the WD Media units and I noticed that I wanted to create something similar to this site: http://www.wdtvlive.com/ (where it has a menu, flash banner and content in a table layout, kind of like this home page).  And for the Blog or News sections, I just want it simple like the one they have: http://www.wdtvlive.com/blog/.  I'm new and I'm trying to keep things simple first.  I was wondering if C1 will allow me to format things, let's say for example, like their layout, instead of the one that comes with C1 now.  Where would I start?  CSS and that's all there is to it?

I look at the source codes for C1 and I don't know where to start.  I don't know how the data is stored, if XML or SQL Database.  I run VS 2010 and when I open the SQL Manager, I don't see any database created.  I was reading on the documentations and it said C1 was created using MVC architecture and I'm learning that now but I don't see the Model, Controller or View folders. I don't know where to start to see what page is from what source codes.  Are the pages generated dynamically?

Thank you again for all your help.

PS. BurningIce: I was looking into the BlogEngine but the tons of codes confuse me even more (LOL).  It's so embarrassing.  Second, I need to hit the data against a SQL Server but BlogEngine is using XML right now.  Plus, I don't know how to make things consistent, kind of like my sample sight wdtvlive.com I mentioned above.

Aug 1, 2011 at 7:57 PM

That was a lot of questions about many things - I will give a few pointers here to good documentation to look at, but I recommend that you create one or more posts centering around one topic/question.

First of, if you are brand new to Composite C1 and need to adapt the starter site and learn how to work with the system, I recommend the following:

About where data is placed - by default your Composite C1 website will put data in XML files (works well for most sites and is super easy to maintain). You can pretty easily migrate to SQL Server - you can do so any time you wish (you need not start over).

Here is info on the C1 Package that can migrate you from XML to SQL and how you install packages

Thanks!

Marcus

Aug 1, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Thank you Marcus.  I hope to better understand and be helpful in this community soon.  :)  Thanks for your time and pointers.