Extranet and Event Calendar integration

Topics: General, Standard packages
Aug 10, 2011 at 10:58 PM

We will be installing and purchasing the Extranet and event calendar modules (Nicely done, guys).

Two questions:

1. In the Extranet Is there a way to edit or extend the fields that are in the User object? 
    • We want to include things like Account Number, Store Address etc. and I know we can create an external database, but we were wondering how much customization there is built-in before we go that route.
  2. What opportunities are there are in integrating the extranet with the event calendar? 
    • It would nice to pre-populate the event form with data from the logged in user.

Looking forward to working with these two well-written modules!

Coordinator
Aug 10, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Awesome - we love customers and especially the happy ones ;-)

To have the event calendar sign-up form pre-populated with extranet user settings I suggest you create a function that take a "name of field" parameter and return the value of that field from the logged in user and then update the data type used for the event sign-up form - set the 'default value' to be populated by this function.

On the extra field question - doing a separate data type for the extra attributes is probably the best way at the moment. You can hook a command on to the user structure so you can offer the end user  a unified tree to navigate users if the data is needed inside the admin UI, but it wont be completely seamless.

Expanding on the extranet user attributes is a fairly common request - a nice way to get such a feature about would be to introduce data type inheritance in Composite C1 so you could create a sub class of the extranet user type and have the extranet use that, but (sadly) we haven't come around to implementing the inheritance feature yet.

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:28 PM
Edited Aug 11, 2011 at 10:29 PM

My main concern with extending the ExtranetUser is the ability to add the fields to the sign up form (on the site). I'm thinking something along the lines of how Profiles work in the .Net space.

You have your User fields, and then your UserProfile is "attached" (I'm assuming that the best way it would be linked to the existing user using the GUID).

Where can I find information on hooking it to the command structure? 

Coordinator
Aug 11, 2011 at 10:54 PM

I don't own that code, but check http://docs.composite.net/C1/Packages/Community/Extranet/CompositeCommunityExtranetDeveloperGuide.aspx/Using-Extranet-Facade-Methods - if you take over the sign up form and write data to the IExtranetUser and your axillary type you should have it nailed.

Let me know it this work for you.