Admin Console not starting up

Topics: Troubleshooting
Aug 11, 2011 at 4:45 AM
Edited Aug 11, 2011 at 4:49 AM

Hi,

I cannot log in to the Composite back end. The CSS is all over the place and I cannot see the user name and password box. When I look at the firefox error log , I get the following message "error parsing value for 'filter' for a facebook plugin called likebox.php.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Coordinator
Aug 11, 2011 at 7:56 AM

Any chance you can send me a screen shot (maw at composite.net) or put it online somehow? If you have any debug goodies from Firebug that would be a great help also. Versions of browser and C1 also.

The start screen inside the C1 Console is currently displaying a Facebook Like Box - we are trying to advertise our newly launched Facebook page to reach a "softer audience".

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:46 PM

I found the cause of the error and (as is usually the case) it was a bit of stupidity on my part! At some point I must have dragged-and-dropped the "styles" folder in the composite directory to another folder by mistake. I moved the folder back to the correct location and the problem was sorted out. I only picked this up after deploying the website to another machine. On my dev machine, the cache folder obviously had a precompiled version which meant that it worked locally.

One thing I'm still not sure about is which folders to exclude from source control. I currently exclude the Cache and ApplicationState. I would expect deleting these folders would be ok (e.g. when a new developer gets the website out of source control). Should the DataMetaData folder be under source control? If I delete this folder (to simulate a fresh copy from source control), it does automatically get recreated, but I cannot browse the tree in the back-end after this. I get node errors when the site map tree is building. So I'm assuming this folder should be under source control?

Thanks for the quick response.

Cheers,

Larry

Coordinator
Aug 11, 2011 at 8:37 PM

DataMetaData should be under source control - all the dynamic types are defined here, so deleting this folder is basically killing a big part of your data schema.

Aug 12, 2011 at 3:35 AM

Thanks,

I added the DataMetaData folder back into source control, and this uncovered one small issue that may be a bug in the system. I compared the different versions of the DataMetaData folder on various developer machines in order to get the latest version under source control. I noticed that the date/time format used in the xml files in this folder are machine specific. I have an Australian date/time setting and another developer has a US date/time setting, so when I compared the folders, I found that the data was inconsistent. Below is an example from the IMediaFileData_<guid>.xml:

Machine 1     <DataFieldDescriptor id="d9095572-6a08-4115-999a-b70a449c827e" name="CreationTime" ... defaultValue="ValueType='DateTimeNow'Value='12/08/2011\ 10:42:04\ AM'">

Machine 2    <DataFieldDescriptor id="d9095572-6a08-4115-999a-b70a449c827e" name="CreationTime"  ...defaultValue="ValueType='DateTimeNow'Value='8/3/2011\ 4:32:49\ PM'">

Both these date/times where in August. You can see the day first in the first machine and the month first (US format) in the second machine.

Would this be an issue??

PS: Thanks again for a great product. We're loving it...

Larry

Coordinator
Aug 12, 2011 at 10:22 AM

>> Both these date/times where in August. You can see the day first in the first machine and the month first (US format) in the second machine.

It's a bug, will be fixed soon

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Thanks, thats good to hear!

Do you have a release date yet for the next version?

Cheers,

Larry

Coordinator
Aug 13, 2011 at 3:56 PM

We hope to have a release candidate in about three weeks.

Coordinator
Aug 15, 2011 at 3:07 PM
Edited Aug 15, 2011 at 3:19 PM

>> Would this be an issue??

No. Because even though current date is serialized, that serialized value never used. But rather DateTime.Now will be executed every time

defaultValue="ValueType='DateTimeNow'Value='12/08/2011\ 10:42:04\