Build source to pre-packaged setup

Topics: General
Aug 14, 2011 at 1:58 PM
Edited Aug 14, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Hi there,

I like to create a default release build (pre-packaged) for our developers (with some of our custom code built in) like the download release you provide.
I.e. a visual studio solution that includes the setup process (initial setup with selection of starter site, admin user etc).
Ideally i like to provide our own starter site (with everything in it we use anyway).

Can you help me?

mzZzl,
JamBo 

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:15 PM

You can take us "out of the action" in respect to the starter site options by changing this URL in ~/App_Data/Composite/Composite.config:

<Composite.SetupConfiguration PackageServerUrl="https://package.composite.net" />

The path there will get "/Setup/Setup.asmx" appended to it - if you need to change that part you need to edit SetupServiceFacade.cs. You can find a simple implementation of the Setup service at http://docs.composite.net/Downloads/CompositeSetupSite.zip - it's a pretty old version, so the startup packages it serve may not work with the latest builds, but the service part should be usable.

You can read about creating packages here: http://docs.composite.net/Composite.Tools.PackageCreator

When that is said, I would encourage you to keep our setup service and use the "bare bone" option and use a local package to populate your starter site. And if you get a good starter site I would strongly encourage you to share it with the open source community - if you feel that your starting point is better than what we got, by all means share it!

And a final note, just so you are fully aware of the licensing on Composite C1 - if you make modifications to the Composite C1 source code and distribute this to third parties (like a customer), the MPL 1.1 license require you publish you code (under the MPL 1.1 license).

Marcus

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Marcus,

In no respect I try or intend to take Composite "out of the action", far from that. I was first and for all curious how the system works, i.e. I wanted to know how you get to the release pre-packaged solution from the source.
When I do a release build I get a standard result - without a solution file and more dll's (like the Composite.Workflows.dll) than you have in the release package.

We do not modify the composite source code, just (add to) the website. So if I can easily get the desired result with a local package I will use that.
Our starting point is definitely not better than yours, just more suited to our and our clients needs.

It's a 'HTML5 mobile first' based solution, with an emphasis on size and speed -  we now score 99 out of 100 on the google speedtest (as we do not compress the html).
If the package is ready to be released to the community where and/or how do I share it?

Thank you for your clear explanation. 

mzZzl,
JamBo 

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Starter sites is an area where we are a lot behind (we have very little to offer right now) so contributions from the community is very welcome! With some luck @burningice would probably love to host the package elements at the Composite C1 Contribution site and we would definitely describe/link to the package from our getting started area - and with the stats you describe it sounds like we would ask you permission to feature it as an option in our starter wizard :)