How does View Composite Start Screen page get loaded in Management Console?

Topics: General
Sep 14, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Hi,

I'm just curious as to how the start page showing "Find us on Facebook" get loaded initially whenever I log in to the Management Console, and if that page is allowed to be changed or link to a different place?

Thank you

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:14 PM

The content is dynamically fetched from http://c1console.composite.net/C1/StartPage.aspx - the content is downloaded indirectly by the website service you the C1 Console. You can configure it - if you edit ~/Composite/web.config you will find the URL, and you can change it. Note that your custom page would need to share certain characteristics with our start screen (page title and JavaScript communicating successful load).

I would encourage your to not remove it though - we update the screen from time to time with relevant info. The Facebook thing will go away soon.

Any particular reason you would like to have it changed? We like the screen to be enjoyable and worthwhile, so I'd love to get feedback.

Sep 16, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Hi Mawtex. Actually, I'm just new to web development and obviously new to C1. I actually like how the screen shows up and like to know how it was done.  Taking it apart and then putting it back helps me understand but since you pointed it out it's a setting thing, then it makes sense to me.  I was just curious only and you shouldn't make the FB thing go away either.  It's actually nice :)

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:17 PM
Edited Sep 17, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Maybe sharing a bit of info on what rules a different web page would need to adhere to, isn't such a bad idea. I like the start page as a developer, but my clients using the console to edit their web site content, might not be so eager to like you on Facebook.

As a developer, I would want to give my clients a quick reference to documentation made specifically for them, support contact info and the like.

EDIT: After looking at the source for the start page, the required scripts seem pretty well documented.

Nov 26, 2011 at 5:22 PM
Edited Nov 26, 2011 at 5:25 PM

I would agree with magnuskragelund on this the end user/editors especially the non tech savvy ones need a guide to use the interface and this presents the best place for that sort of thing which saves a lot of phone calls and hand holding.

When end user clients login and see this page they get confused... In addition the find us on facebook/powered by composite could be condensed into section at the bottom with a link to this page instead which would minimize confusion and allow for "how to" space that us as developers and designers can update for the client.

Nov 26, 2011 at 5:26 PM

i totally agree, and i find the "go away soon" as a bit funny statement, since more than 2 months has passed now - but surely we all have a different perception of time.