Know a good html/css framework? Help make Composite C1 better!

Topics: General
Coordinator
Oct 6, 2011 at 11:13 AM

I’m looking for input on html5/css frameworks – if you have been around in this area, please read on!

I’m looking into a much improved “site setup wizard” for Composite C1, where you can select one or more features like blog, gallery, contact form, news archive etc. and get a variety of html5/css layouts. The goal is that – once you have gone through the setup wizard – you have a website that is potentially ready to deploy “as is”, and still with clean quality markup and css so web devs can get their way.

Ideally I’m looking for a template framework which got the following features:

• Nice grid based layout that web devs will happily adapt
  • Modern and targets mobile devices also
  • Good pre-build templates that fit with a CMS (1,2,3 column layouts)
  • A huge pile of CSS themes already made, and growing which require no (or very well structured) changes to the html templates.
  • Community support and contributions

If we can hook into work already done here we can focus more on the CMS related bits of this, but so far I have not been able to find a silver bullet.

Given your experiences, where would you start?

Oct 6, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Hi

I'm developer. but heard great presentation by designers they made suggestion to go for 
one of grid systems and specified that they work with 960gs. This is where we started in June.

Later on, we have found some other and have them on the list to implement them.

So our list: 

Haven't looked at mobile, just getting ready to take a look...

more

http://devsnippets.com/article/complete-guide-to-css-frameworks.html

http://www.jquery4u.com/dynamic-css-2/10-lightweight-minimal-css-frameworks/

http://designbeep.com/2011/01/12/29-free-css-frameworks-and-tools-for-web-developers/

HTH

regards

mel

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2011 at 7:06 AM

The 960gs stuff you guys have ported to Composite c1 looks really nice - what I'm wondering is if 960gs (or any other of projects for that matter) also have a larger body of 'themes' (sets of css, designs that are easy to apply across similar DOMs)?

I checked most of the projects you list and it looks like I'm hoping for too much - they don't go down the 'multiple easy-to-apply themes' road.

We probably have to do define a 'starter site DOM' and a bunch of 'themes' our selves, but it is just fairly time consuming and not our core competency, so it is worth keep looking for at head start :)

Oct 7, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Hi

As we started we had similar idea: "to build a reusable library of css/html themes/skins not only for c1", but
this was too much. And this changes so fast that every week some new framework pops up.

Idea was to have paramteic xslt funct with parameters like:

• framework: 960gs or 1kbcss or YUIgrid or ...
  • layout-type: fluid|fixed
  • layout-def: something like rows with column ratios
    960gs pseudo sample
    header,4,4,8
    center,8,8 
    footer 1,14,1
    and this to map into different frameworks, but it is quite a big task
  • css-override: this would include at the end and override default css with our colors

At this point we have xslt function that can tune 960gs for

• fluid or fixed, 
  • mootools, jquery or no js
  • optimized or not
  • in test for fulid layout - resizable images

Who knows maybe we are going to be able to do it....
Right now we have some problems with adding params to functions etc, but this in another discussion.

regards

mel