Composite C1 is now open source!

Topics: General, Release notes
Coordinator
Sep 23, 2010 at 9:12 PM
Edited Sep 23, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Hi everyone!

Since you are reading this, you have already found us at CodePlex and it's probably not surprising to you that Composite C1 is an open source project, but it's kind of surprising to us and we are adapting to the fact.

Composite C1 is developed by Composite in Copenhagen, Denmark and we have been developing Composite C1 for around four years now. During those years we sold Composite C1 as a commercial closed source software product, with product warranty, support and all. The fact that we have just taken 98% of the source code in our commercial product, streamlined it and uploaded it to CodePlex under MPL 1.1 takes some time getting used to. But we are super happy to genuinely go open source and we are both excited and nervous about the feedback we will get.

There are many reasons why we are doing this. One reason is that we believe that we can combine open source with good business - we won't feign blind altruism. The huge majority of Composite C1 users won't pay us a dime, but a small fraction will be companies that want something extra and we expect the sum of this fraction will turn out to be an excellent revenue stream to fund our further development and the kind of growth we want. Another reason is a deep longing for a developer community - we would really like you to engage with us and perhaps even help Composite C1 improve. Since day one we have striven to build a architecturally advanced and robust web CMS that we our selves would like to use. Like most software development this can be pretty time consuming and it's fairly obvious to us that we would need the power of an active open source community to build all the features that our inner users, admins and web developers scream after. Vanity is actually also a reason - although we can see tons of flaws and missing elements in the Composite C1 picture we feel a deep pride about "what is" and dream of the day when other developers will genuinely engage in this child of ours. We hope that making Composite C1 open source will give it a bright and shining future and we are thrilled about it.

If you are actively involved in web development - either as a .NET developer or a front-end developer - I sincerely hope that you will keep and eye on us, give us a try on your next .NET CMS related project and engage with us. If you are now moving on, but don't want to forget us then follow CompositeC1 on Twitter or sign up for our newsletter.

If you have the time to evaluate us right away, then visit http://docs.composite.net/C1/Getting-started.aspx.

Thanks!

Marcus

Sep 30, 2010 at 5:12 AM

This is really great!  But how does it compared to umbraco?  

According to the screenshots, they are very similar thing.

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:27 AM

Can it run on sharing host?

Sep 30, 2010 at 8:04 AM
kerryjiang wrote:

Can it run on sharing host?

Yes, "Full Trust level" + .net 4 are required. I was able to run Composite C1 1.2 on DotNetPark (http://dotnetpark.com). Failed on GoDaddy (http://www.godaddy.com). In couple of days will try with Composite C1 2.0.

Sep 30, 2010 at 10:20 AM
Edited Sep 30, 2010 at 12:26 PM
ryanlin wrote:

This is really great!  But how does it compared to umbraco?  

According to the screenshots, they are very similar thing.

DISCLAIMER: I work in Composite’s QA group, so this is not an unbiased review ;p

I'm in love with Composite C1, because:
- it's .net 4 - I like new things from Microsoft :) and using LINQ.
- it's much more clean and well organized - when you will use it – you will feel it.
- friendly UI - you can open as much windows as you wish - try edit XSLT function, few pages, template and css at same time. Stunning! I have to keep open few pages in Umbraco to do that..
- XSLT functions - you can insert them in pages, templates, call them in other functions, return XML or XHTML.. functions have parameters - you can execute other function to get parameter value.. or predefined it - extremely flexible, no headache with markup. If you ever tried insert Umbraco macros in content with parameters and then edit page again..you know what I mean.
- XSLT function calls - you get exact data you need, from _ANY_ source (via custom C#), from build in functions, your own datatypes (for each datatypes you have automatically generating functions)...you can filter this data with build-in or custom written C# functions, order data, build in paging.
- datatypes - in Umbraco you have only page type.. in C1 you can create kind of tables (datatypes) which can be assigned to page in different ways - as meta (to have extra properties on the page) or folder (to add page specific list of data).. or just table which will be used by XSLT or other datatype.. and all this via CMS interface.. if you need to do your own news system – it’s question of couple of  minutes.
- pages and datatype translation and publishing features - what you do in Umbraco? Right - you create extra tree or edit page types to add Title_EN, Content_EN, etc.. in Composite you just add language you need and press translate button - you done.. and it's also about to be in order :)
- custom widgets - if you don't like or don't have datatype widget you need? You can write you own. Composite C1 it's LEGO for developers. Do what you want!
- packages system - move whole site content (or by parts) to the new or existing system - easy! (Composite.Tools.PackageCreator - free package from Composite)
- number of free packages with typical functionality from Composite.
- easy of update - you just install package with update. That’s it. In Umbraco - downloading "how to update doc", new version of install from codeplex, selecting files for update, and finally manual update.  In C1 – few clicks and you have your site updated.
- you can create your own package server, add it to the customers website and have your customer updated with new packages as well.   

.. honestly, I can write much more, but believe me it's worth to check it out.. I did several sites on Umbraco and was quite happy with it. Umbraco is great system and till this moment it was out of competition in .NET open source market, but it's time to try something new - Composite C1 :)

FYI: I'm working with Composite C1 from its alpha version and keep watching how it’s grow and become stronger every day for couple of years.. and I have personal site, still on Umbraco, but now I'm on my way to move it to Composite C1 – it’s just better.
If you have any questions - just let me know.