Console problem

Topics: Troubleshooting
Nov 8, 2010 at 7:00 PM

I have also had this issue as well and it is exactly as tvn described. It is very frustrating.

Having said that, I have not had this problem (that I have been aware of) since updating to SP1.

Coordinator
Nov 8, 2010 at 7:44 PM

>> Having said that, I have not had this problem (that I have been aware of) since updating to SP1.

In SP1 the code editor has been changed from CodePress to html5 based Mozilla Skywriter.

Coordinator
Nov 11, 2010 at 9:57 AM

@tvn Just checking - did you do any 'manual upgrades' in order to get to SP1 or did you do a fresh install from the SP1 download?  If you can provide a video it would be a great help - anything that can help us repro this.

Coordinator
Nov 11, 2010 at 11:40 AM
Edited Nov 11, 2010 at 11:44 AM

@tvn Follow up questions:

To fix this do you have to reload the entire console (F5), or can you also "solve" the issue by closing the current document and starting editing it again? Question if if we are looking at a 'c1 window local' issue.

In our testing we identified an issue, where clicking both left and right mouse buttons at the same time sends SkyWriter (Bespin) into a 'arrow keys does selections' mode (like SHIFT + Arrow keys) from which it will not exit (this is a 'c1 window local' issue). Your description sound different, but any chance this has any relation to your issue?

Also, could you provide details on what browser/version you use?

Thanks!

Coordinator
Nov 12, 2010 at 7:49 AM

Thanks for the video - I can see how this can drive anyone crazy - I'm sorry that you experience this :-(

IE is using a completely old school <textarea /> and a very simple client implementation which will explain that IE works ok.

As mentioned we are not able to repro this issue yet, so I will keep asking questions:

Are multiple users working on the same website simultaneously? If so, try editing ~/App_Data/Composite/Composite.config - locate the attribute broadcastConsoleElementChanges and change from 'true' to 'false' and restart site (Tools | Restart Server + F5 browser) - then see if the problem goes away.

Are multiple users working on the same website and are they getting this issue as well? This could be a bug which is provoked by a some personal "keyboard tick" like "very quickly pressing left/right arrow keys, while thinking about what to type now" etc. - if other people on your team are actively using the editor as well but are not experiencing this issue, try to notice if there is such a "tick" that can repro the issue.

Is the site publicly available? Would we be able to access and investigate on your site? If so, please mail me details; maw@composite.net

We are taking this issue pretty seriously since you have a clean install and experience it across multiple machines - but without a repro we are stuck.

We will soon release a beta build with Chrome support - this could be your salvation. Would you be interested in spending some time with this beta and Chrome and let us know if you are still experiencing the issue?

Thanks for helping us on this issue!

Coordinator
Nov 12, 2010 at 3:01 PM
Edited Nov 12, 2010 at 3:05 PM

If you only experience this after several hours of running the C1 Console in Firefox, this could perhaps be a mem leak / corruption issue. This sounds especially true if you need to completely close down the Firefox process and restart to solve the problem.

Could you try to notice how much mem Firefox is using according to Windows Task Manager before restarting it? My guess it’s a fairly huge number. This kind of issue is insanely hard to pinpoint – for now I’d put my money on getting Chrome up and running and if there is no issue here, then simply switch.

This could actually be a pure Firefox issue – check https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/753700 (a tip here is to disable plug-ins or tun in safe mode - I guess neither is great but worth a try)

If anyone out there are hardcore Firefox memory leak experts, feel free to step forward. We have been unable to locate any issues in our JavaScript so far.

Coordinator
Feb 10, 2011 at 6:53 AM

The code editor have some issues (putting it mildly) - we are in the middle of replacing it with CodeMirror and so far this seem to do away with all the known issues we have.

About the start screen - Composite C1 (the server part) will ping our 'start screen site' and if it doesn't get a response fast enough it will give you a simple screen with logo/version info in the lower right corner. I guess this is what you get? Are always you getting it? Are you internet connected with a connection with high latency or something?