warning: this item is already open for editing

Topics: General
Jan 3, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Well that is the messagebox I'm getting after I login and then open a page for edit. I am pretty surte I'm the only person editing cause it's localhost so. What to do?grtz Ronald

Coordinator
Jan 3, 2011 at 9:56 AM

You get this if you earlier edited the item and did not close your editor/browser while the browser could communicate with the web server - or you are actually actively editing the item.

When you start editing an item, Composite C1 will keep track of the user / item being edited and when the web app is notified about a editor closing, this "lock" will be released again. If you disconnect from the server while editing items and close your browser, the web app is not informed that you stopped editing the elements.

You should only see this information once for an item - unless you re-create the situation. If multiple users edit the same items the user login of the other user will be shown.

This typically only happen in dev situations, where the web app is stopped before the browser is closed (and items are still open in the editor). If you close your browser first, the messages should go away for good.

Coordinator
Jan 3, 2011 at 10:39 PM

@tvn When working alone it truly is annoying - any chance your run your site via WebMatrix or VS2010 and shut down the host app, before closing the admin window? Reversing the order should make them go away.

Coordinator
Jan 4, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Hmm - are you experiencing this during normal use or is it in connection with development?

I haven't experienced that the warning show up during std. use, unless items are actually being edited from multiple places. I have experienced that I can get the warning, if I do programming errors (in form markup XML or asp.net controls used by forms), but unless you do development at this level and have errors like this you shoulnt get the warning.

Anyway, you can flush any lock history by editing the file App_Data\Composite\DataStores\Composite.Data.Types.ILockingInformations_public.xml and remove all the inner XML elements (so it just contains <LockingInformations />) and then restart the site.