Import site in composite

Topics: General
Jan 5, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Does anybody know if Composite let import a full existing site?

Thanks, I'm newbie.

Jan 5, 2011 at 3:05 PM

From what system? Im my self in the progress of writing an importer from Umbraco to Composite C1.

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:53 AM

From no system, I mean, I have to admin an existing site, but I want to do this via composite. I don't want to begin from zero, so, can I import the full site to Composite?

Thanks for your reply.

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Importing from a website with "no system" is not possible and I doubt that there are any CMS supporting this feature. However, if the website is too big to move it manually then a custom program can do the job. Of course if the website's content follow a recognizable pattern. 

If this is your case you can contact me and I might be able to help.

If the website's content is not huge then it might be a good option to move it manually.

- How big is the website?
- What languages is it using?
- Any database? 

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Thanks for your response, Aboo, and apologize me for my delayed visit. I amb building a new site with .Net (html, css and c# in server side) and database is sql server. Tools like Visual Studio and Expression Web ara familiar to me, so I began with this tools. But my desire is the entire site will be supported by composite, so I thought I would manage all the content later, in a latter phase of development. :-(

I understand you advice me I begin with composite from beginning, is allright?

Thanks!

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:20 PM

It depends. If you are developing some sort of functionality (not content) you can create your own ASP.NET User Controls and have them run using a proper player in Composite later.

If you want to be more attached to Composite then it's better to consider developing your functionalities using XSLT which is more Composite friendly.

For example I am developing an application using MVC3 c# Razor and SQL. I am doing this using VS2010 because of RAD however, I have plans to use Composite MVC player to have my application run and I will create the contents later using C1 console.

Composite C1 is very flexible. Give it a try and you will find your way.

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:57 PM

If your existing site consists of ie. Masterpages and lots of aspx pages and UserControls (ascx) it should be fairly straightforward to convert. Imagine that all your layout is defined in the Masterpages and the aspx's only contain content, you would be reusing the Masterpages but getting rid of all the aspx pages, since their content is now managed inside Composite C1. The Usercontrols can also be reused with little or no effort.