Add blog to non-Composite site

Topics: General, Standard packages
May 10, 2011 at 5:07 PM

We have many websites that we maintain for clients on dedicated Win Server 2003. We have been using FrontPage and ExpressionWeb in the past, but would like to gradually switch over to Composite C1.

My question... is it possible to leave existing website alone and use Composite to ad blog-type functionality to only part of the website i.e. www.web.com/news, where the existing website is the root and the Composite functions in the news directory and it's subdirectories.

Any suggestions or assistance appreciated. If anyone knows details on how to configure server for this, please let me know.

Thanks.

Coordinator
May 10, 2011 at 9:14 PM
Edited May 11, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Option 1:

You should be able to create a asp.net 4 virtual application on IIS named "news" and then point this to the folder containing Composite C1.

Option 2:

You could also copy the Composite C1 files into your existing website root (your existing app must run asp.net 4). The following files would need some special attention:

• default.aspx
    Don't copy this, use the one you have.
  • web.config
    Don't copy this, instead figure out how to move the settings from Composite C1 into your existing one.
  • global.asax
    Don't copy this, instead figure out how to move the settings from Composite C1 into your existing one.

Then start the Composite C1 console i.e. www.web.com/Composite and ensure the homepage has Url Folder name "news". Now this page should show up on www.web.com/news.apsx and sub pages on /news/subpage.aspx.

May 10, 2011 at 11:47 PM

If Composite is running in a Virtual application named News, shouldn't the path to Composite Administration be www.web.com/news/Composite ?

Coordinator
May 11, 2011 at 12:47 AM

@burningice I have updated my post above with the bold text - it was a bit unclear that I was discussing two alternatives.