where is the mvc player???

Topics: MVC, Standard packages
May 18, 2011 at 11:08 PM
Edited May 18, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Alright so I just installed web matrix, set up the demo "omnicorp" site, and I want to use the mvc player. Problem is, when you look at the available packages, the asp.net->mvc player is not even listed. I am running composite c1 version 2.0.3980.2002. Am I doing something wrong here??

Coordinator
May 18, 2011 at 11:22 PM

The MvcPlayer package has 2.1.4087.22991 as minimum version requirement so you need a more recent version of Composite C1.

If you just created the site using WebMatrix my guess is that you need to upgrade WebMatrix. For some reason the product feed MS send to older WebMatrix versions isn't updated, so you need the latest WebMatrix release to gain access to the latest products.

Hopefully this link will start an upgrade of your WebMatrix: http://www.microsoft.com/web/gallery/install.aspx?appid=webmatrix

Please let me know if this works out.

Thanks!

Marcus

May 19, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Marcus,

I just reinstalled WebMatrix and then I chose to set up a new Composite C1 site and now I am running 2.1.4.
Everything is working great now and I'm ready to try out that MVC player.

Thanks!

Lee

Coordinator
May 19, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Glad you got it working!

I noticed this http://codeplex.codeplex.com/workitem/25851 - looks like you logged this under 'codeplex' and not this project (?)

May 20, 2011 at 9:53 AM

new version is online. we tested and descreased minimum version to 2.0.3947.24461

May 23, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Looks like I spoke too soon... now everytime i try to install the MVC player package I get an error saying that the package did not validate and it wont install. Any other ideas here???

Coordinator
May 24, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Hello,

I tested package installation on next builds:

Build no. 2.0.3947.24461
Build no. 2.1.4113.99
Build no. 2.1.4161.13442

On what build you could not install this package? Could you check log files(Tools->Server log) for more details about validation error?

May 24, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Here's the error... the composite im using is Build no. 2.1.4113.99

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Mvc, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'System.Web.Mvc, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString)
   at Composite.PackageFragmentInstaller.CheckAssembly.CheckAssemblyPackageFragmentInstaller.Validate()

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].
Coordinator
May 24, 2011 at 10:12 PM

I'm not that familiar with the module, but I guess mvc framework should be installed separately http://www.asp.net/mvc/mvc3

May 24, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Good guess. I thought I had the mvc framework already installed since I have a new copy of Visual Studio 2010 but apparently it was not up to date.

Once I ran the installation with the link provided it fixed the problem.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to helping me get this up and running!

Lee

Coordinator
May 24, 2011 at 11:18 PM

@Idoran, looks like @napernik is right on the money - the MvcPlayer install was prevented because ASP.NET MVC 3.0 is missing from your system. Once you have MVC 3 installed, the package installation should execute without any issues.

We check that MVC3 is on your system, before we install the MvcPlayer - otherwise we would break your website.

I am reading the MvcPlayer info page and can see we were not being explicit about this requirement. Sorry about that, relevant info have been added. I will also check up on the validation message we show - sounds like we could be much more informative here.