Installation on Server

Topics: General
Jun 23, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Hello Guys,

I am exploring you CMS and it look promising. I have successfully installed on my laptop using Visual Studio install process. However when I try to install to my server using IIS 7.0, I get the following error. "It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS."

The error highlights Line 34 of the web.config <identity impersonate="false" /> I have been unable to find a fix for this, could you provide any guidance?  I am sure it is a simple setting or configuration problem, but I have not been able to find a solution via searching the forums.

Thanks

Maxi

Coordinator
Jun 24, 2011 at 12:43 AM

If Composite C1 is not running at the root of your website, but in a sub-folder, you need to have this sub-folder configured as an application in IIS. This may be helpful http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh/archive/2005/04/25/37609.aspx

Coordinator
Jun 24, 2011 at 12:15 PM

@Maxbear open website in IIS7, choose the subfolder, right-click and choose "Add application"

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Thank you for your suggestions and I apologise for taking so long to get back to you, my schedule didn't allow me the time to play around with C1.  I have tried your suggestions to no avail.  I also reinstalled and I still got the same error.  The only way I got it to work was by removing the following line from web.config in the Composite folder.

<identity impersonate="false" />

Once I remove that line it works.  Will this cause any security issues or so you have any further suggestions I should try?

Thanks

Maxi

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2011 at 9:30 AM

>> Once I remove that line it works.  Will this cause any security issues or so you have any further suggestions I should try?

I won't cause any security issues since "false" is the default value for this setting.

Its hard to say for sure, but according to Google, you get this error when site is running in a subfolder. The path you specified in IIS, does it much the C1 site's root?