Composite admin error

Topics: Troubleshooting
Jun 24, 2011 at 9:47 PM

After I login into the composie admin section and I try to edit the content of a page (website, webiste items) I get the following error.

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.Xml.XmlException: '.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 1.
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseRootLevelWhitespace()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
   at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(XmlReader reader, LoadOptions options)
   at System.Xml.Linq.XDocument.Load(Stream stream, LoadOptions options)
   at Composite.Core.Xml.XDocumentUtils.Load(String inputUri)
   at Composite.Plugins.Data.DataProviders.XmlDataProvider.Foundation.XmlDataProviderDocumentCache.GetFileRecord(String filename, String elementName, Func`2 keyGetter)
   at Composite.Plugins.Data.DataProviders.XmlDataProvider.XmlDataProvider.GetData[T]()
   at Composite.Data.Foundation.PluginFacades.DataProviderPluginFacade.SyncronizedCall[TProvider,TResult](String providerName, SyncronizedCallDelegate`2 func)
   at Composite.Data.Foundation.PluginFacades.DataProviderPluginFacade.GetData[T](String providerName)
   at Composite.Data.DataFacadeImpl.GetData[T](Boolean useCaching, IEnumerable`1 providerNames)
   at Composite.C1Console.Events.ConsoleFacade.RegisterConsole(String username, String consoleId)
   at Composite.Core.WebClient.Services.ConsoleMessageService.ConsoleMessageServiceFacade.GetNewMessages(String consoleId, Int32 lastKnownChangeNumber)
   at Composite.Services.ConsoleMessageQueueServices.GetMessages(String consoleId, Int32 lastKnownChangeNumber) in d:\webs\Composite CMS\Composite\services\ConsoleMessageQueue\ConsoleMessageQueueServices.asmx:line 33
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

I already tried http://compositec1.codeplex.com/discussions/238746 and http://compositec1.codeplex.com/discussions/234249?ProjectName=compositec1 and still does not work... I even created the files Composite.Data.Types.IUserConsoleInformations_public.xml since it was not there.

Jun 24, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Please ensure you did this:

1. Stop the site
2. Create the file ~\App_Data\Composite\DataStores\Composite.Data.Types.IUserConsoleInformations_public.xml
3. Give it the following content:
<UserConsoleInformations />
4. Start the site

Then upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1 or later - this issue have been fixed.

Jun 26, 2011 at 4:36 AM

I already did that on friday before i submit the entry, I already have the latest version installed. what else can I do? (2.1443.99)

Jun 27, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Okay, this is not an issue we have seen before, so I will broaden this a bit:

1. Stop the site
2. If it exists, delete the file ~\App_Data\Composite\DataStores\Composite.Data.Types.IUserConsoleInformations_public.xml.tmp
3. Create / open the file ~\App_Data\Composite\DataStores\Composite.Data.Types.IUserConsoleInformations_public.xml
4. Give it the following content:
<UserConsoleInformations />
5. Start the site

The stopping and starting of the site are important steps. If you find the ".tmp" file please post about it here.

If this still do not help, start the log viewer tool, point it to your website and see what error info is available. There is likely more relevant info there.

If you are still unable to resolve your issue, please e-mail me (maw at composite.net) the files from the following folders, and I will see what I can do.

• ~\App_Data\Composite\DataStores\
  • ~\App_Data\Composite\LogFiles\