Page friendly URL

Topics: General, Troubleshooting
Jun 30, 2011 at 11:25 PM
Edited Jun 30, 2011 at 11:34 PM

A page's advanced settings lets us set a 'Friendly URL' . The associated help says "The entry specified in this field is shown in the browser addres bar and replaces system generated url's. Note that the server has to be configured to support this feature".

When I try it though it acts as a redirect; I enter the url in the address bar and get redirected to the 'actual' url for the page. Is the help wrong or are there some extra steps required? I am running Composite in WebMatrix at the moment.

Thanks

Coordinator
Jul 1, 2011 at 12:07 AM

The help text of the 'friendly url' field is completely wrong :( Thanks for pointing this out.

The redirect to the "systematic path" is by design - the friendly URL field is intended as a 'fast entry path' that can be used to distribute a shorter version of the page url, like for print.

If you are looking at ways to get the very verbose 'systematic path' URL's made nicer / shorter (i.e. "/about-us" instead of "/home/about-us.aspx") then either look at the C1Contrib project or our next release (beta source code available here at codeplex).

Jul 1, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Thanks