How do you remove Red C1 icon appearing in url and tab

Topics: General
Jul 5, 2011 at 10:46 PM

I installed the master pages demo site and am playing it to come up with a demo site that a client will view.  I am trying to figure out how you remove the red C1 square icon that is appearing in the url and tab.  Or better yet how can I change it to something else.

Thanks

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:03 AM

Hello,

This is a favicon.ico file located on the site root folder.  

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Inna,

When i delete the icon from directory - i see IE icon (i use IE).

When I try to save my icon as favicon.ico - i see C1 icon in tab istead of mine.

What can be a problem? ( i deleted temp, cookies, etc)

Thank you!

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Hello,

It looks like some IE cache, do you have the online link to your site?, I will check out what I see in IE

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:52 PM

it is http://baautismoutreach.com/Home.aspx

now i saved my icon as favicon.ico

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:56 PM

I see your icon in IE and in FF browsers

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Could you advice how i can clear cache to see it too? :)

I used Control Panel - Internet Options - General tab - Delete...

What else?

Nov 3, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Internet Options -> General tab - Delete -> make sure that checkbox "Temporatry internet files" is checked -> Press Delete - this should help, but if not, don't worry, check out later :) It is some strong IE cache :)

Nov 3, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Temp files were checked....

I don't know what is 'some strong IE cache' :)

Thank you!

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Inna,

i am not sure that problem is in cache only...

when i want to check the icon on server - http://baautismoutreach.com/favicon.ico - i see my icon.

i cleared all temp, cookies and ALL other possible points in Internet Options.

then i tried to find the file favicon.ico on my computer (including hidden files, etc) - i found some copies and deleted them too.

then i tried to open my site in IE and then in FF - result is the same - i see C1 icon instead of my icon.

What else can be done to see needed icon?

Thank you!

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Try to find answer here - http://www.make-a-favicon.com/favicon_FAQs.htm#How_do_I_associate_my_favicon_with_my_web_site

<<

** While Internet Explorer can automatically locate and display favicons in the root directory, it won't always do that (just another quirk, courtesy of Microsoft). To increase the probability that IE will always handle favicons as it should, add the two lines of purple-shaded code into the head section of your web site:

<head>
<
<link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

</head>

>>

http://www.faviconblog.com/clear-the-browser-cache-to-display-your-favicon/

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Inna,

I have other question about cache. I mean Composite cache on server. Also cache on my comp.

Problem is - server had some problems with disk, then it was repeared and our data was restored (by provider).

But i see previous styles in the site. If i open the site on other NEW comp - all looks ok. But on comps which worked with the site before - incorrect view  (the same view in Chrome, IE, FF).

I tried to reload all site files to the server - but result is the same.

Could you advice something about the cache on local comps? (all temporary files, cookies, etc. are deleted)

Also please let me know which Composite files can be deleted on server. For example i read on forum about \App_Data\Composite\Cache\Assemblies - can i delete files from the folder? And which other folders can be cleared?

I use SQL server based site (not XML), may be some tables should be cleared?

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Hello

>> Could you advice something about the cache on local comps? (all temporary files, cookies, etc. are deleted)

The only possible local cache is Browser Cache (temporary files). It is strange that you see different views, did you try to press F5? Do you know how to use FireFox plugin named FireBug to investigate why do you see wrong some styles?

>> Also please let me know which Composite files can be deleted on server.

All files located under the folder ~\Website\App_Data\Composite\ can be deleted

>>I  use SQL server based site (not XML), may be some tables should be cleared?

No tables should be cleared.

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:05 PM
Inna wrote:

Is this correct ?
Within the App_Data\Composite\ folder are various folders which I thought were important to the operation of C1.
Such as DataMetaData  holding various structural store data, both locally and Globally. Then the DataStore itself if there's any use of XML datatypes. 

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:09 PM
webasylum wrote:
Inna wrote:

Is this correct ?
Within the App_Data\Composite\ folder are various folders which I thought were important to the operation of C1.
Such as DataMetaData  holding various structural store data, both locally and Globally. Then the DataStore itself if there's any use of XML datatypes. 

Definitively not... it must have been an honest mistake. The actual folder you can delete after migrating to Sql Server is ~/App_Data/Composite/DataStores.

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:30 AM

@burningice, if the Composite admin isn't required on the production server, what files need to be left in place from the ~/Composite folder to ensure everything continues to work in the site itself ?

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:47 AM

it depends a bit on which packages you have installed since some of them tend to put data that is also needed on the frontend in the ~/Composite/InstalledPackages and ~/Composite/localization folders. And if you use the Composite.Forms.Renderer package it gets a bit more messy since it uses the UserControls in ~/Composite/controls/FormControls/FormUiControlTemplates to render its fields.

I suppose the best way to find out it with trial and error. Start by deleting everything expect these three mentioned folders and see if it works.

Sep 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Hmm. Not very clean separation then.