Extranet doesnt work on staging server

Topics: General, Standard packages, Troubleshooting
Jul 8, 2011 at 11:33 PM

We are using Extranet for the standard user log in/creation/protect content type things.  Everything has been pretty good on our dev machines.  Today, we noticed that on the staging server (which points to the same database as our dev machines do), the login/logout functionality is acting very strange.  It seems you can create a user, but when you log in, the login button doesn't change over to logout.  However, it does seem to be "working" from the aspect that the first few things we have protected seem to now be visible.  I've created a fresh version from SVN on my local machine, and a fresh version on our staging server, and my local version works correctly, while the staging server does not. 

Are there some integration rules I need to follow, or any procedures I need to perform when using a different server?  Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

~Brian

Coordinator
Jul 11, 2011 at 6:12 AM

Hello,

It looks like server page Cache issue. By default C1 pages are cached for 1 minute.  Try to edit file ~\Renderers\Page.aspx and comment raw <%@ OutputCache Duration="60" VaryByParam="*" VaryByCustom="C1Page" %> to check if this an issue.

Jul 11, 2011 at 7:51 PM

I commented that line out, but the problem still persists.  I'm going to go through and add some extra logging and tracing to see if the values are indeed coming back correct, but outside of that, I'm sort of stumped.  The "works on these machines, but not these" are always the most frustrating ones. 

Jul 14, 2011 at 6:08 PM

So for anyone else who runs into this, our dev systems all had SP1 on them (windows 7).  Our internal dev staging server was win 7, but no sp1.  The "real" staging server had 2008, but didn't have sp1 on it.  Once we put sp1 on both systems, they were happy. 

Coordinator
Jul 15, 2011 at 8:34 AM

>> Once we put sp1 on both systems, they were happy. 

Thanks for sharing the info. We likely haven't seen this behavior before since most of the servers are running on Windows Server 2003/2008.