Web Farm/Clustered Install

Topics: General
Jul 28, 2011 at 4:20 PM

How nicely does C1 play on a multi-server web farm setup? I have a 4-node web farm & I'm looking into a CMS that will work in that configuration.

Specifically, what files does C1 need to write to the local file system? It'll be configured to use a DB on a separate server.

Thanks

Simon

Jul 28, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Hi Simon,

the free open source bits can run in a multi-server web farm in 'read only' - the admin part do not scale out so you would need to set up a admin site and figure out how to push updates. For Windows Azure we have a "ready to run" product for this setup, where you can administrate your site locally and then push to X instances on any number on Azure data centers. The Azure bits are available commercially and I can provide you with a eval kit if you are interested.

Tools for on-premise scale out is something we are considering, if there seems to be a marked for it - if you would be interested in this, let me know. In general we are looking at commercializing scale out tooling for Composite C1 because we enter a enterprise level where we feel some 'giving back to the community' is in place.

Thanks!

Marcus

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:47 AM

That sounds promising. Our web servers are configured for fail-over, rather than load balancing, so there's only ever 1 node active.

Do you have any information you can send me, or someone I can contact with any questions arising?

thanks

Simon

Jul 29, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Well, in a fail over scenario I guess you just need to have a process that automatically sync file changes from primary to fail over. This should work without any issues form both XML based and SQL based sites.

Feel free to contact me at maw@composite.net or ask here :)

Aug 1, 2011 at 11:47 AM

From initial testing, it looks like this will work, which is good.

I'm looking at using Distributed Replication Services in Windows 2003 R2 to keep the files in sync. Presumably I need to monitor the app_data & frontend folders for changes. Anything like compiled assemblies would be deployed by hand to all the servers. Monitoring the 2 folders would catch most changes like css, scripts, etc.

Is that a fair assumption or am I missing anything?

thanks

Simon

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:46 PM

I'd say it's a fair assumption. If possible, it would be really sweet if you wrote a guerrilla guide for this and allow to quote you on our documentation website, so people may follow your foot steps.

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:11 PM

yeah, no problem. Once I get it working I'll write something up.

thanks for your help

Simon

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Were you ever able to create a guerilla guide for this? I would much appreciate seeing it if you have. We are looking at the same thing. Thanks. -John