Disappearing Datatypes

Topics: General, Troubleshooting, Visual editor
Oct 3, 2011 at 11:05 PM

I created a Page Metatypes, called PageInfo with a few fields that every Content Page will have. Things like setting a string for CSS Class on the body, some specific meta stuff, etc.

Anyhow, I had to edit the metatype and when I went to change it and save, it disappeared from the tree! I just changed the title to correct a spelling mistake, and it disappeared!! In addition, it doesn't appear in the page MetaData Tab either. The data is still there in the database, but I can no longer "find" it in the Console.Is this a bug? I'm using 2.1.3 Beta 2.

Is there a way to get this back into the Console easily? If not, it's okay, there was no DATA in the metatype yet anyhow. I don't mind deleting the entry and starting again.

1. Can I safely delete the table in the back end and start again?
  2. How Can I attach metadata information to EXISTING Pages?

Thanks so much in advance.

Coordinator
Oct 4, 2011 at 7:01 AM

Hello,

Try to re-generate Composite.Generated.dll by following the steps described here

Also, check out the logs for some errors: Tools -> Server Log

>> How Can I attach metadata information to EXISTING Pages?

Locate page -> right click on the page -> Add Metadata field. Aslo you can read next articles:

Metadata-filtering 

How+can+I+inherit+meta+data+from+parent+pages

How+do+Page+meta+types+differ+from+Global+data+types

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:27 PM
Edited Oct 4, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Does Tools > Rebuild Assembly Cache do the same thing?

I did notice something in the Log Viewer:

The table 'Metatypes_PageInformation_Published_en_CA' is missing a primary key

Sure enough, the database column: "Id" is marked as unique but not as the primary key. There are no constraints and no Keys.

Coordinator
Oct 4, 2011 at 8:42 PM
Edited Oct 4, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Yes, if you are running a recent 3.0 beta you can regenerate Composite.Generated.dll using the Tools > Rebuild Assembly Cache command. For previous versions the steps Inna to are required.

It sounds like we have a bug in the beta relating to dynamic data types and SQL table primary keys - any chance you can come up with a repro or give details that could be relevant for a repro? Also, if you have any relevant info from the time of error in the server log, please share.

If you haven't done so already, consider setting the Id column as PK to work around the issue.

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2011 at 9:38 AM

A quick update - we have reproduced and noted this issue and will have if fixed shortly. The work around (setting PK on the SQL table) works.

Oct 6, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Hey Mawtex... just logging and happily saw this message. Great news! I can provide any log entries you guys need and willing to do testing if you wish.

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2011 at 6:53 AM

Judging from your initial description I think we got what we need to fix this. You should probably see it fixed in the next check-in.

Oct 12, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Cool. How far are you guys from a new release version?

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2011 at 7:48 AM

Hi @atomiton

The bug was fixed in checking 9387 http://compositec1.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/changes/9387

Upgrade procedure is on its way