corrupt datastore xml files

Topics: General, Troubleshooting
Oct 8, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I though we good rid of this problem long time ago, but this morning a site running 

 

Composite C1 2.1.3 (BETA 3 Internal build)
Build no. 2.1.4262.23748

had several empty files yielding these errors.

Error: '.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 1.

 

Error details:
Failed to get value for function 'Layout.Page'
One or more errors occurred.
Failed to get value for function 'C1Facebook.AlbumListNew'
One or more errors occurred.
Failed to execute function with local name 'GetFacebookAlbumsXml'
Failed to get value for function 'C1Facebook.FacebookAlbums.GetFacebookAlbumsXml'
'.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 1.

 

 

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:26 AM

From the code we have the exception along it's hard to find what was the exact sequence of events that lead to that situation. Can you provide as with a "test scenario" or at least more information

Have the process/virtual machine crashed before you discovered the exception? 

Was the file that got "truncated" one of the files under /App_Data/Composite/DataStore?  

Could it be that you were updating xml data in some kind of inconvenient way? :)

Previous instability was easy reproducible by writing and  running some code that adds data to an xml file continiously and killing the working process during that time, so if the problem is still actual there has to be some kind of trick in reproducing it.

Oct 12, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Yes, it was a datastore file that was empty, completely empty, not just filled with junk. And no, it just happened over night. Most likely due to an unexpected shutdown

Event Type:     Error
Event Source: EventLog
Event Category:                          None
Event ID:           6008
Date:                                               08-10-2011
Time:                                              07:05:41
User:                                               N/A
Computer:       WDF01
Description:
The previous system shutdown at 6:48:39 AM on 10/8/2011 was unexpected.

This, and plenty of other files, are being written to at a static interval, so most likely there was writing going on when the server did a unexpected shutdown. But like i started by saying, i thought we got rid of this problem.