In doubt between shared host and Azure

Topics: Azure, General
Oct 19, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Hi,

I just recently encountered Composite and want to give it a go.
I found serveral shared hosts providing full trust hosting. So that is one option for the hosting.

I also have looked at Microsoft Azure, but I am a bit puzzeled by it. How do I get a clear picture of the costs of the hosting?
The calculator is not very helpfull because I do not always know what they are talking about and what I need of these resources for the actual hosting of Composite.

Can someone provide a bit of insight based on experience? Eg: how much resources are used/required on a monthly basis?
Or what are the costs for the hosting. I understand the costs are depending on the actual use, but maybe they can be illustrated by a use case.

I hope my question is clear.

Thank you.

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2011 at 11:14 AM

You can likely run on a single extra small (XS) instance, 10GB of "Storage & Transactions" and 10GB of "Data transfer" (GB outgoing traffic).

This setup would cost you $33 a month. Our experiences with XS are pretty good - compared to your vanilla 'shared hosting' solution Azure XS got a lot more juice.

This is the minimum setup on Azure - you can use the Azure pricing calculator to power up to larger sizes, more instances, more traffic if you solution need it. You can also put SQL Azure into the mix, Composite C1 will run on it, although I'd recommend XML unless you have lots of data inserts/updates.

An important point: Composite only provide a free "single XS instance" image and Azure connector. If you need to scale up or out, you are looking at a commercial product. In that case contact us.